Christmas Countdown!

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Decorating for Christmas-2012

 
I haven't posted some photos of my Christmas decorations from last year, so I thought I would share a few of them with you now--in the spirit of "Christmas in July." This picture is of our master bedroom, with my "Christmas in the Cabin" quilt. It is a log cabin quilt made from 2.5 inch strips. It's one of my all-time favorite quilts, and one that I actually hand quilted myself. This setting is called the barn raising pattern. The quilt on the wall at the head of the bed is a Fons and Porter pattern. I used all fabrics from my stash, and the brick red and tan fabrics I used for the alternate blocks dictated how big I could make this quilt. The star blocks are 8 inches square, so if you are a quilter it would be easy for you to figure out this pattern on your own. I call it "Scrappy Stars."

 
This is a little corner of our master bedroom. It houses a small desk with a chair, my Thimbleberries table topper in red/green/cream fabrics, a basket of my favorite Christmas magazines and a few other trinkets.  Establishing a small "Christmas Nook" is step 1 on the "Organized for Christmas website. http://christmas.organizedhome.com/ See the "June Rudolph Club Meeting" post for more information.

 
This blue dry sink has been in the foyer, the dining room, the kitchen, and currently the living room. It holds my Jim Shore nativity set and a few decorative candles. My goal this year is to make a log cabin quilt (about 13 x 30 inches) for the base of the nativity set. The fabrics are in cream and gold, and I have 26 of the 30 total blocks made already. As a matter of fact, when I finish this post I'm going to make the last 4 blocks and hopefully get it sewn together this weekend. So stay tuned for more, and I will post photos when completed. I think I will add some trees to the setting this year...can't decide between white or green, but we'll see what we can find. Hopefully Hobby Lobby or AC Moore will have some goodies to choose from!

 
This is our fireplace mantel, decked out this year with a "White Christmas" theme. I grew up in northern Illinois and so Christmas doesn't seem like Christmas without some snow. Here in
Virginia we can pretty much expect to NOT have snow at Christmas! The two little Christmas quilts cover baskets with my favorite magazines. I am a magazine junkie, I admit it. The two little kissing bears are from Hallmark.

 
Here is our tree this past year with lots of white and some blue, something completely different from all the reds and greens I normally use. My favorite part of the holiday season is enjoying the glow from the tree in the evening with all my presents bought, wrapped and under the tree. It's such a comforting feeling! I think I like the addition of the bow on the top!

 
My coffee table decoration...a big fat ivory colored pearl-studded candle, in a glass cylinder on a blue plate with white poinsettia leaves. We have a cat, so I can't have real plants or Dusty will eat them.
 
 
Rudy and Clarissa say hello! (They're from Build-a-Bear--don't you just love them?!) Enjoy your Christmas in July photo tours! And till next time, love, peace and joy to you and yours!
 
Mary
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment